Last night I was surfing the web hoping to find some easy recipes for chia seed energy bars.
I came across countless recipes but none of them really appealed to me because one of three reasons:
- The recipes required too many ingredients
- The recipes were too high in fat because they used a nut butter
- The recipes included the addition of sugars which (in my opinion) defeated the purpose!
The whole point of my search was to find something easy!
So, unable to find a chia seed energy bar recipe that actually looked doable, I decided to come up with my own:)
This recipe came to me in a flash of inspiration when I was feeling low on energy as well as craving one of my favorite desserts…carrot cake!
The recipe takes about 15 minutes to mix up and about 2 hours of baking/dehydrating (yeah, I know that’s a lot, but it’s so worth it and makes the bars last longer as compared to when I did a raw version), and isn’t overly sweet (which is a huge plus to me).
The only tools you need are a glass bowl, a rubber spatula, a box grater, and a high-powered blender.
- 2 apples, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 C. Quaker Oatmeal, Quick Oats, (pulsed in blender to become oat flour)
- 1/2 C. Raisins (or golden raisins)
- 1/4 C. Raw Almonds
- 1 Tbsp. Walnuts, fine chopped
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp. Chia Seeds
- 1/8 tsp. Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 °F (which is 121 °C )
- Put 1 C. of water into a small sauce pan, add the pure vanilla extract, and bring the water to a boil
- Once water is boiling, add raisins, cover and remove from heat
- Place oats in blender and blend until it’s a flour consistency
- Grate apples and carrots on a box grater, take half the mixture and put into blender and blend until a chunky applesauce consistency
- Add oat flour + blended mixture of apples and carrot to glass bowl
- Drain raisins and add to blender, add raw almonds, and 2 Tbsp. water from raisins
- Blend well until a thick paste like consistency is formed
- Add this to the bowl of at flour
- Add the chia seeds
- Blend all ingredients together until a slightly watery dough-like consistency is formed
- Spread mixture in a thick even layer in a shallow baking dish
- Place basking dish in preheated oven and allow the bars to bake for 2 hours
- Remove after 2 hours, allow to cool uncovered
- Cut into 4-5 long squares and enjoy!
This healthy indulgent recipe is perfect for a mid-day pick-me-up! Enjoy with steaming cup of green tea in order to make the effects of the energy and fullness last longer!
- Spicy Sour Cream Avocado Sauce
- Chia Seeds ~ What Are They & Why They Work in Green Smoothies
- Green Smoothie for Breakfast: Kale ~ Banana ~ Mango