It was a beautiful fall day today in my city, but I was itching so badly!
No, I don’t have some sort of disease but I do suffer from dry skin. Fall and winter weather makes it so much worse.
Being that I’ve tamed my eczema years ago, I faithfully use this homemade lotion recipe to keep my skin looking like “chocolate silk” in the words of my boyfriend;)
My friends (of all ethnic backgrounds) rave about this lotion, so tonight while I’m whipping up the first batch of the season, I figured I’d share it with you all!
Trust me, this lotion is perfect for anyone with dry skin, eczema, stretch marks, psoriasis, or scarring of any kind. It great for the whole body although I wouldn’t use it on your face if you have oily or acne prone skin. For the face, I would highly recommend you use my “Beautiful Skin” Facial Oil.
“Perfect Skin” Body Lotion:
- 1 tablespoon Emulsifying wax
- 35 ml Tamanu Oil
- 35 ml Pracaxi Oil
- 5 ml Emu Oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) distilled Water
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Vitamin E
- 10 drops Grapefruit Seed extract
- Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons (25ml) Vegetable Glycerin
- 20 drops Helichrysum Italicum
- Stir together the oil, emulsifying wax and glycerin in the top part of a double boiler, warming slowly over a low heat until the wax is melted. Remove from heat and pour in the Vitamin E.
- In a separate pot on the stove or in the microwave, gently warm the water just until lukewarm. Do NOT skip this step – your homemade lotion will separate later if the water is too cold.
- Slowly pour the water into the oil, stirring briskly with a whisk until the mixture is a uniform color.
- Stir in the essential oils and the grapefruit seed extract. Pour the homemade body lotion into a clean, sterilized 8oz (250ml) dark glass or PET plastic bottle and allow it to cool before putting the lid on.
- The oil and water components of the lotion will separate as it cools. Shake the bottle every 10 to 20 minutes to re-mix them. Once the lotion has cooled completely, they will stay mixed.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
Why This Lotion Is So Fabulous:
* Tamanu Oil: Tamanu oil possesses a unique capacity to promote the formation of new tissue, thereby accelerating wound healing and the growth of healthy skin. This process is known as cicatrization. For this reason, it is a widely used traditional topical aid. In Pacific island folk medicine, tamanu oil is applied liberally to cuts, scrapes, burns, insect bites and stings, abrasions, acne and acne scars, psoriasis, diabetic sores, anal fissures, sunburn, dry or scaly skin, blisters, eczema, herpes sores, and to reduce foot and body odor. Tamanu oil is also massaged into the skin to relieve neuralgia, rheumatism and sciatica. Tamanu oil is employed by Polynesian women for promoting healthy, clear, blemish-free skin, and is also used on babies to prevent diaper rash and skin eruptions. Read more at Source.
*Pracaxi Oil: Pracaxi Oil is obtained from the seeds and flesh of the fruit of the Pentaclethra macroloba tree, which is native to the wet tropical areas around the north eastern part of South America. It contains high levels of phenols and Vitamins A and E, providing anti-oxidant benefits and helping promote cellular renewal, and is thus ideal for mature skin. It also possesses powerful antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties, and helps alleviate redness and itching, making it perfect for irritated and blemished skin. Pracaxi Oil has of the highest levels of behenic acid, helping retain moisture levels in the skin and hair. It also helps reduce skin discoloration and depigmentation. When applied to the hair, Pracaxi oil helps moisturize, soften and smooth the hair and promotes shine and ease of wet and dry combing. Read more at Source.
*Helichrysum Italicum: Paramount among all healing oils in aromatherapy is Helichrysum italicum, also known as Everlasting and Immortelle. Helichrysum is cosmetically and therapeutically unparalleled in its ability to support cell regeneration and tissue healing. The go-to oil for skin beautifying and restorative serums, helichrysum is potent, safe, and exceptionally effective. This extraordinary distillation, with its rich, herbaceous, honey-like bouquet is harvested from the sunny Mediterranean hillsides and is equally suitable for both therapeutic applications as well as perfume blending. Read more at Source.